- 6 ounces onion, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 6 ounces tender celery ribs, coarsely chopped
- 6 ounces carrots, peeled and coarsely chopped
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 4 pounds canned crushed tomatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place the onion, celery and carrots in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until finely chopped but not purée.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over high heat. Add the minced vegetables; lower the heat to medium and cook, stirring often, until golden brown, about 10 minutes.
- Add the ground beef, stirring with the back of a spoon to loosen the meat, breaking it up and blending it with the vegetables. Cook, stirring often to prevent it from sticking to the bottom of the pot, until the meat is browned, about 15 minutes.
- Add the red wine and reduce for 5 to 7 minutes. Add the tomatoes, salt, pepper and bay leaves. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook for 1 hour, stirring once in a while. The sauce should be thick. Adjust seasoning to taste.